Each year,* the Library holds an election for two purposes. The first is for approval of the proposed increase of the next fiscal year's (FY) operating levy, or the additional amount requested to fund the Library through taxes. (The Library's operating budget also includes income from other sources - including grants, gifts, interest and fees - which are not subject to the vote.) The second purpose of the vote is to elect trustees to fill any vacancies on the Library Board. A public information session on the proposed tax levy will be held on Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 7pm in the Library's Community Room.
[* Recognizing the financial impact of covid-19, the Board of Trustees did not request a tax levy increase in either 2020 or 2021. Only Trustee elections were held those years.]
The 2023 Library vote will be held on Tuesday, April 4, from 9am-9pm in the Library's Community Room on the lower level. The items on the ballot are:
- The increase of the tax levy for the proposed FY2023/2024 library operating budget, and
- Election of one trustee for a 5-year term to begin on July 1, 2023
1. Current FY 2022/2023 and Estimated FY 2023/2024 tax rates/thousand for Library's Operating Levy:
Current Rates - FY 2022/2023
- Warwick: $4.15/$1,000 of assessed value
- Chester: $0.94/$1,000 of assessed value
Estimated* Rates Proposed for FY 2023/2024:
- Warwick: $4.20/$1,000 of assessed value
- Chester: $0.94/$1,000 of assessed value
* Estimated tax rates are based on current property assessment values and equalization rates. Because the towns of Warwick and Chester assess home values differently, the tax rates differ for Warwick homes and Chester homes in the Warwick Valley Central School District. Warwick homes are typically assessed at less than 25% of their actual market value, while Chester homes are assessed closer to the actual market value. Still, in both towns, library tax rates are based on assessed value, not on market value.
Click here to verify your school district and/or to check your own Orange County property assessment and taxes
2. How to Figure Your Tax for the Proposed Library Operating Levy
Based on the estimated FY 2023/2024 tax rates, a family with a home in Warwick assessed at $50,000 would pay a Library operating tax of $210.00. That's an increase of $2.50 per year. A family with a home in Chester assessed at $200,000 would pay a library operating tax of $188.00 a year, unchanged from the current year.
- If the assessed value of your Warwick property is $50,000, you would divide that number by 1,000. The result is 50, and 50 multiplied by $4.20 is $210.00. Your 2023/2024 tax for the operating expenses of the Library would be $210.00.
- If the assessed value of your Chester property is $200,000, you would divide that by 1,000. The result is 200, and 200 multiplied by $0.94 is $188.00. Your 2023/2024 tax for the operating expenses of the Library would be $188.00, unchanged from the current year.
3. Voter Registration
Residents of the Warwick Valley Central School District who are registered to vote may participate in the library election. Voter registration is held at the Warwick Valley Central School District Office at 225 West Street, Warwick. The office is open Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm, excluding School District holidays and closings. The phone number for the School District Office is (845) 987-3100.
4. Absentee Ballot Information
Absentee ballot applications may be submitted to the Library. If the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, applications must be received by the Library at least 7 calendar days before the April 4, 2023 vote. If the ballot is to be provided directly to the voter (in person), the application must be received at least one day before the vote.
Click here for an absentee ballot application to print and fill out.
A list of all people who have requested absentee ballots will be available for inspection at the Library five days before the vote and will be posted at the Library during the hours of the vote.
5. Trustee Election Information
There is one (1) Trustee position on the April 4, 2023 ballot. Regina Wittosch is running for re-election.
Library Trustees are elected to serve a five (5) year term of office. Persons wishing to stand for election as Trustee must return a petition (see below link to a printable PDF) with at least 25 signatures of residents of the Warwick Valley Central School District to the Library no later than 5pm on Friday, March 3, 2023.
6. Legal Notice of Library Vote
7. Proposed FY2023/2024 Library Operating Budget, with Current FY2022/2023 Budget