News & Events
THE LIBRARY WILL CLOSE AT NOON ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 22 AND BE CLOSED ON THANKSGIVING DAY, NOVEMBER 23. WE WISH ALL OF OUR PATRONS A HEALTHY AND PEACEFUL CELEBRATION!
* Cheer from Chawton: A Jane Austen Family Theatrical: The scene: Chawton Great House, Hampshire, England — home of Jane Austen’s brother, Edward Austen Knight. The time: December 1815, on the eve of the publication of Emma. The plot: In the tradition of home theatricals held during her childhood at Steventon rectory, Jane Austen has prepared an entertainment for her family in which her siblings are to take part with her as performers. She expects to begin playing Mrs. Bennet (from Pride and Prejudice), to her brother James’s Mr. Bennet. But her family has played a trick on her: they have left Jane to tackle an unrehearsed solo performance. They provide her with a list of topics quizzing her on her life, her writing, and the inspiration behind her work. These serve as the springboard for a most enjoyable evening, filled with Jane’s pointed observations on her family, friends, suitors, and society, as well as her own hilarious early efforts as an author. Join us and the Austens on Friday, December 1 at 7:00pm: register here!
* This performance is made possible by a generous gift from Glenn P. and Susan D. Dickes to the Albert Wisner Public Library Foundation. *
* Boxes for Soldiers: AWPL is honored to participate in this holiday care package drive for our troops serving overseas. Through Friday, November 24, please drop off personal care items, individually-wrapped snacks and other useful/fun items (see complete list of suggestions here) in the receptacle provided in the AWPL lobby. Questions? Please call (845) 610-5700.
* "In Flanders Fields the Poppies Blow...": in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1, and to honor the lives sacrificed from both communities, we are collaborating with our sister community in Warwickshire, England to "knit our Warwicks together" by making Remembrance Poppies. Kits are available at AWPL. Please take one and return the completed poppies to the Library before May 2018. Knit or crochet as many as you would like. Use our directions or your own! Poppies should not exceed 4” in diameter.
* New Art Exhibits for November: please come enjoy Life in Stills, an exhibit by the Quintet Photographers Capturing Life, on display in the Community Room and Gallery. Also visit the Board Room to see Heaven & Hearts, an exhibit of mixed media paintings by Cathe Linton.
Friday, November 24, 2017 - 1:00pm to 3:00pm
01:00 PM to 03:00 PM
Friday, November 24, 2017 - 3:30pm to 4:30pm
03:30 PM to 04:30 PM
Monday, November 27, 2017 - 1:00pm to 4:00pm
01:00 PM to 04:00 PM