back | next
begin slide show
The 1810 House/ Location: Main St. at Lewis Park/ Built by the Olmstead family in 1810. Connecticut saltbox roofline, Dutch dormers. Once the home of the Warwick YMCA with a gymnasium behind, and at one time housed the village's second library. Also was the headquarters of the American Legion in the 1930's. Purchased by Mr.and Mrs. Madison Lewis and gradually restored: the gymnasium was taken down and the interior restored and redecorated to better reflect the character of the original home. Deeded to the Historical Society in 1976. In the rear is the Herb Wheel, a reproduction of a typical herb garden of the same time period as the house, designed in 1957 by Mrs. Charles Reed and Mr. Ralph Shaeffer. The 1810 House today includes the "Forester Room" in which memorabilia of the famous field sports author Henry William Herbert (a.k.a. "Frank Forester") who visited the area frequently in the mid-1800s is displayed; the other room has period pieces and salvaged items from other historical structures of the town. / Text Sources: Hull, Richard "History of Warwick", Anon., "Activities of the Historical Society" / Image Source: Photo courtesy S. Gardner, 2000

1810 House, Forester, Frank, Lewis Family, Olmstead, YMCA